Page 6 - 2011 Guide to Family Violence Laws

This is a SEO version of 2011 Guide to Family Violence Laws. Click here to view full version

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »
If I am being hit or threatened by someone I know, how can the law help
If you have been hit or threatened by a family member or household member,
the laws of Connecticut can give you special protection and services.
Sometimes these laws are called domestic violence laws or family violence laws.
These laws and services can help you even if you and the person who hurt you
are going to stay together. Try to get as much information as you can about all
your options before you make decisions about your relationship.
The law and the legal system include some things that can help protect you.
Sometimes the legal system can make things more difficult for you. Once the
police and courts get involved they may make decisions about your family or
what should happen that you don’t agree with.
It is important to know that
the law is not the only source of help
Some of the legal protections and services available to you are:
Calling the police
Asking the court for a protective order or restraining order that will
order the person who hurt you to stop hurting you and to stay away
from you
Asking the court to make orders that will help you protect your
Talking to a Family Violence Victim Advocate (FVVA) for
information about the law, the court, and other options you may
have. FVVA’s are staff members of local domestic violence agencies
who work at the court and are available to help you.
will explain many of your legal rights and options in more detail.
Sometimes it may seem that nothing will make things better for you. Whether you're
planning to leave the person hurting you or to stay with him, Connecticut's 18
domestic violence agencies can work with you to make sure you know about all the
options, services, and resources that are available. You can contact them at any time
(24 hours a day - seven days a week) for a safe place to stay or for support and
information. They will answer your questions and listen to you. The local domestic
violence agencies and the Family Violence Victim Advocates can help you understand
your legal options and other options that do not involve the law, the police, or the
court system.
Call: 1-888-774-2900. If using a cellular phone, call Infoline at 2-1-1.