Page 34 - 2011 Guide to Family Violence Laws

This is a SEO version of 2011 Guide to Family Violence Laws. Click here to view full version

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »
This part of the
contains information about restraining orders, divorce,
custody and visitation, and answers some questions about who has the right to
live with you. These are parts of the law that are handled by the civil courts.
Most of the problems addressed in this section are handled in Family Court,
which is part of the Superior Court. A directory of Superior Courts is included
in the Resource Directory at the end of this
In Connecticut,
Orders are different from
orders are made by a criminal court judge against a person who
was arrested for stalking, harassment, or a family violence crime.
orders are made by a civil court judge after a person files an
Application for Relief from Abuse.
There are other important differences between restraining orders and
protective orders.
Information about protective orders: Page 17
Information about restraining orders: Page 30
There are gun control laws that keep some people from having legal access to
purchase or possess most types of guns. If you are worried about your
partner’s guns, talk to a Family Violence Victim Advocate.
Enforcing an Order of Protection from a Court in Another State
Police in Connecticut are required to enforce orders of protection from other states, U.S.
territories or Indian tribes. This means that if you have a court order from another state
that protects you from your partner’s violence, your partner can be arrested if he does any
of the following things in Connecticut:
Threatens or physically hurts you; or
Contacts you or comes near you when the order says he is not allowed to do so.
To prove that you have an order from a court in another state, it will be very important to
show a copy of the order to the police. The copy does NOT have to be a certified copy. The
law says that the police must enforce an order that appears authentic, even if the order is
not in their computer database.
Call your local domestic violence program for more information.