Page 22 - 2011 Guide to Family Violence Laws

This is a SEO version of 2011 Guide to Family Violence Laws. Click here to view full version

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »
What is a protective order? Can
the judge tell him to stay away?
If your partner has been arrested,
the judge can issue a protective
order as a condition of your
partner’s release. This order tells
your partner not to hit you, and can
also tell him not to harass you,
contact you, contact your children,
come to your home, come to your
place of employment, any
combination of these, or any other
protection the judge thinks is
After your partner’s first court date,
the clerk of the criminal court is
required to send you and your local
police department a copy of any
protective order made by a judge. If
you do not get a copy of your order,
you should go to the clerk's office
and ask for a copy. If you have any
difficulty, ask either the Family
Violence Victim Advocate or the
Family Services Counselor to help
Keep one copy of the protective
order with you at all times and
another in a safe place. You may
need a copy of the order to show
the police.
It is important that you understand
what specific orders the protective
orders include. If you are in court
when the protective order is made,
ask the judge, Family Violence
Victim Advocate or Family Relations
Counselor to explain it to you. Ask
questions if you don’t understand.
If you get a copy of the protective
order later you can call the Family
Violence Victim Advocate and she
will explain it to you.
In Connecticut,
are different from
orders are made by a
criminal court judge against a
person who was arrested for
stalking, harassment, or for a family
violence crime.
orders are made by a
civil court judge after a person files
an Application for Relief from Abuse.
There are other
differences between restraining
orders and protective orders.
For information about protective
orders, see page 17.
For information about restraining
orders, see page 30.
There are gun control laws that keep
some people from having legal
access to purchase or possess most
types of guns. If you are worried
about your partner’s guns, talk to a
Family Violence Victim Advocate.