Page 18 - 2011 Guide to Family Violence Laws

This is a SEO version of 2011 Guide to Family Violence Laws. Click here to view full version

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »
If my partner is arrested, when
will he have to go to court?
He will have to go to court the next
day court is in session. If he is
arrested early on a weekday
morning, he may be in court that
same day. If he is arrested on a
Friday afternoon, the next court day
is Monday (unless it is a State
Are people from court going to
call or contact me?
Yes. The Family Violence Victim
Advocate will contact you by phone
or letter. In addition to the Family
Violence Victim Advocate, a number
of other people may call or contact
you. Each of them has a particular
job to do in the court involving your
partner’s case and they will want
information from you. It is
important to understand who the
person is and why they are calling
before you give them any
information. It is also important to
ask what they will do with the
information you provide and
whether or not your partner will
know what you said. You don’t have
to talk to anyone, especially if you
don’t know who they are or
understand what they want.
However, if you don’t talk with court
staff it may be difficult for them to
know what you want or need.
If you have questions about who is
calling you or you want the court to
know what you want or need call
the Family Violence Victim
Family Violence Victim
Advocates are staff members
of the local domestic violence
agencies who work in the
court. Victim advocates are
there to give you information
about the court process and
to answer your questions.
They can help you understand
what choices are available to
you and help connect you to
other services. If you want
them to, Family Violence
Victim Advocates can let the
court know what you want to
have happen in the case you
are involved with.
Your conversations with a
Family Violence Victim
Advocate are confidential.
This means an advocate will
not tell anyone else what you
told her unless you give her
permission to do so or the law
requires it.
Call: 1-888-774-2900
If using a cellular phone, call
Infoline at 2-1-1
(or check Resource Directory
at the back of this book for a
local phone number).